Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Role of an Advisor

In my work with student leaders over the past year I have experienced with my students feelings of accomplishment, doubt, confusion and joy. My role as an advisor has given me the opportunity to learn about student development and how that relates to my work and the work they do everyday as leaders of their school and community. I realized that as an advisor the important skill to have is to ask the right questions in order to get students to think critically about themselves and the work they are doing. With the right questions you put the work back in the hands of the students rather than giving solutions.

What I will take away from this experience is that although at times I felt like the message was conveyed and there was an accomplishment made by my student there still exist areas of improvement. Progression is never constant. I have learned that while things change constantly it is important to recognize that the role of the advisor is not to always have all the answers or the solutions its about creating a space for recognition and support. Recognizing their success, failures, achievements, and who they are as individuals. Our work is more than meeting with a student it is about creating supporting relationships and guiding them through the ups and the downs. It is about using teachable moments to help them become future leaders of this world.  

Si se puede!

No comments: